Saturday, July 28, 2012

York's Log Village


My parents met in the early 1950s at York's Log Village on Loon Lake in Rangeley, Maine. My mother was at Colby College at the time and worked as a waitress one summer. My father was at Dartmouth and was a cabin boy.

We vacationed there a couple of times in the 1960s. I remember the lakeside cabins, paddling canoes, swimming off the dock, and mostly, the loons' languid wails over the water. My father taught us to cup our hands and blow through our thumbs to mimic the loons.

The Yorks sold the property many years ago to photographer William Wegman, best known for his anthropomorphized photos of his Weimaraners. A condition to the sale was to welcome customers who had a special relationship with the place to come back and stay in the rustic cabins. My parents are among those fortunate few.


3 comments:

Beck said...

Lucky dog.

Fan of Yorks Log Village in the late 1950s said...

Your mother's name wasn't Sue, was it? I was only about 12 in the late 1950s, and distinctly remember a very good waitress named Sue, and could tell you more about her if she was your mother. Carol M

**** said...

No, she wasn't Sue. My mother was there in the early 50s when she was an undergraduate. My parents are gone now, but I remember how much they loved their return visits to the cabins on the lake throughout their 60+ year marriage.