Monday, February 15, 2010

Bye Bayh


Dodd, Dorgan, Kennedy . . . and now Bayh.  When a decent centrist like Bayh throws in the towel, even after apparent 11th-hour interventions by Obama and Emanuel, you know the playing field has tilted.  I find no fault with his logic, only admiration. 
“After all these years, my passion for service to my fellow citizens is undiminished, but my desire to do so in Congress has waned,” he said. “My decision was not motivated by political concern,” he added. “Even in the current challenging environment, I am confident in my prospects for re-election.”
“But running for the sake of winning an election, just to remain in public office, is not good enough,” Bayh said. “And it has never been what motivates me. At this time I simply believe I can best contribute to society in another way: creating jobs by helping grow a business, helping guide an institution of higher learning or helping run a worthy charitable endeavor.”
From The New York Times:
"In the past two years, Mr. Bayh has been focused on budget and fiscal issues and frustrated some of his colleagues by balking at the Democratic budget proposals. According to analysis by The Times of Mr. Bayh’s voting history, Mr. Bayh has voted with a majority of the Democratic caucus roughly 71 percent of the time during the 111th Congress – the lowest percentage of his career. He has also been the Senate Democrat least likely to vote with the party this Congress."

No comments: