Saturday, February 27, 2010

Mr. Warmth

A couple weeks ago I was racking my brain trying to remember Don Rickles' name.  It eventually came to me.  So I was all the more delighted to read an interview about Mr. Warmth in the latest Vanity Fair.  Here's a classic Rickles story:
"Before our lunch ended, I asked if he would tell the now classic story about Frank Sinatra that famously left Carson helpless with laughter.

“It’s a true story, so help me God,” he began obligingly. “Sinatra was headlining at the Sands, and I was with this girl having dinner in the lounge. She wasn’t anybody I would bring home to my mother, but I really wanted to score big. Frank was in the lounge at his table with Lena Horne and some other celebrities and all his security guards. And my date says, ‘My God, there’s Frank Sinatra! Do you know him?’

“I said, ‘Sure, he’s a friend of mine.’ Which he was. But I made it sound like my whole life. ‘We’re like brothers!’ She didn’t believe me. So I said, ‘Wait here, sweetheart,’ and I went over to Frank’s table. ‘What do you want, Bullethead?’ he said. That was his nickname for me. I told him I was trying to impress this girl and would he do me a very big favor and come over and just say hello. He said, ‘For you, Bullethead, I’ll do it.’

"Five minutes later, Sinatra strolled over and said, 'Don, how the hell are you?'
And Don Rickles looked up and replied, 'Not now, Frank. Can’t you see I’m with somebody?' "

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whatever happened to Jonathan Winters? Now that was a funny guy. BTW, posting to this blog is like donating an organ with all of the boxes to check.