Monday, April 26, 2010

Jaroslav Halak

With my beloved New York Rangers playing April golf, I'm cheering again for the Montreal Canadiens, the New York Yankees of ice hockey.  Tonight's 4-1 victory over hockey's best 2010 regular season team, the Washington Capitals, had me swinging a white towel with the Montreal faithful.  Outshot 54-22, the Canadiens' Game Six win means the series goes to a deciding Game Seven at the Capitals' Verizon Center on Wednesday.  The series difference - Montreal goalie Jaroslav Halak.  Not bad for an 1 - 8 Eastern Conference match up.

Seeing 10-Cup winner "Le Gros Bill" Jean Beliveau in the stands took me back to the last time I was at the legendary Montreal Forum on May 21, 1979 when the Canadiens defeated the New York Rangers to win their 24th of 26 league-leading Stanley Cups, one fewer world championships than the New York Yankees.  I ran into Beliveau in the stands, as well as Montreal native and boyhood Rangers idol Rod Gilbert, both of whom had retired but were still smitten with Cup fever.
 
Aller le Club de hockey Canadien!

No comments: