Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Fishing with grapefruit juice and vodka


Buddy Vanderhoop, a Wampanoag Indian and the larger than life captain of the fishing charter boat Tomahawk, takes all sorts to the Vineyard waters to catch fish . . .

"I’ve known Keith Richards for thirty years: We used to party at the Outermost Inn back in the late seventies. About five years ago, Keith came back to the Island, and I was up at my mom’s restaurant, the Aquinnah Shop, and Keith was walking down from the overlook with a bunch of his friends from London, and he says, “Buddy! Buddy Vanderhoop! What are you doing? I’m here for the whole summer. Let’s go fishing.” So Keith shows up at my boat at 7 a.m., and he’s got a ten-ounce cup in his hand. I say, “What’s in the cup, Keith?” He says [attempting a British accent], “Oh, vodka and grapefruit. Grapefruit’s a morning drink, you know.”

1 comment:

Beck said...

Buddy looks like someone I would run from. Good for you digging deeper to get his story.